Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

So here it finally is, the Election Day that will make history, no matter what happens.

I was at my neurotic best after seeing photos of 8 hour lines for the early voting in other states. So I insisted that we all get up at 4:30 AM and be at the polls by 5:30, even though voting doesn't start until 6 AM. I expected the doors to be locked but they were open and a kindly poll worker allowed us to wait inside and to use the bathroom before the official opening at 6.

A few people tried to cut the line in front of us and I objected. The woman's excuse was that we aren't all going to the same Election District. That may be, but we were still something like 3rd in line and I wasn't going to be moved back by people who came in after us. Fortunately she grumbled but gave in.

At about 6 a number of people came in and the line was just about to the door but I don't think it extended outside. We proceeded to the correct ED and put Jason ahead of us because he had to be at school and needed to get on the subway by about 6:30.

They gave Jason his card and he went in and wasn't able to pull the lever. That's because the machine wasn't properly turned on yet. One of the women at our table didn't even know that the light is supposed to be on, that's what shows the machine is working.

Someone else came over and fixed it and Jason was able to vote. He waited while Bruce and I took care of voting.

Meanwhile, this woman at our table was showing just how ignorant she was. It is amazing that they allowed her to be a poll worker, but I have been through the training and I know that they will take anyone who has a pulse. They give you a few hours of training, and then they give you an open book test during which you are allowed to look up the correct answer. Naturally everyone passes! A bonobo could take a few minutes off from mating with his female relatives, and pass that exam!

This particular woman didn't know how to turn on the machine...even though they teach that at the training. Then she was asked to write up the cards while looking up the names in the book. Oh my, that was just too hard for her. The other woman, who had more smarts, wrote up my card, #3. Then this bozo put my name on card #4. I sure hope my vote isn't disqualified just because this woman is brain dead. I did not vote twice, but it will look like that at the end of the day unless the smarter poll worker tore up card #4.

Then Ms. Ignorant complained that she couldn't write up the cards and look up the names in the book at the same time. She threatened to quit on the spot because she was being expected to do "all that at once." Another poll worker basically told her to shut up, she wasn't going to leave.

I foresee some problems in my election district today, because this woman couldn't even handle the situation when there were only 5 people on line waiting to vote. Just wait until later today when a huge crowd shows up after work. They'll probably have to haul her off in a strait jacket.

Anyhow, I am very glad we voted early, and my fingers are crossed for Obama and all the Democrats. This country has suffered for 8 years and it is surely time for a big breath of fresh air.

No comments: