Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Pat on the Head

There's a famous photo of a little African-American boy feeling President Obama's hair to see if it felt like his own. He agreed that it did. I love that photo for several reasons. I hope that little Jacob was thinking that he, too, could become President someday. Or maybe he just thought it was cool that his hair feels the same as the President's. I also love seeing that our President is humble enough to bend down and let a small boy touch his head. It shows that his ego doesn't get in the way, and also that he has a great way of relating to children.

The photo reminded me of a pat on the head that wasn't so "cool." When I was in fifth grade, the first African-American boy joined our class.

Many of us had never seen a black person before or at least hadn't been in close contact with a child. So, his classmates, probably including me, were intrigued by his kinky hair and sometimes walked up behind him to feel it.

Oscar objected angrily. I'm sure he felt singled out and humiliated for being different. Were we racist? I don't know. I was 9, younger than the others, but is that an excuse? Again, I don't know. I think we were just curious and meant no harm, but we caused harm anyhow. We invaded Oscar's personal space without his permission. All this happened in the classroom, so I'm wondering why the teacher didn't intervene.

As an adult, I can see that we did wrong even if it was unintentional. I hope all of us have learned and are more respectful of differences today. In any case, the photo of President Obama letting Jacob feel his hair stands out as a contrast and a positive mirror to our negative behavior all those years ago.

No comments: