Saturday, March 03, 2007

A Few of My Favorite Books

My cousin Ivy was generous enough to send me a package of romance novels she's done with, and we got into an email discussion of our favorite books and authors. It's clear we are related because our tastes appear to be very similar.

I read a fair amount of nonfiction. When I read fiction I enjoy several genres: historical romance, science fiction, fantasy, suspense and horror. I used to say I liked historical romance because it took me out of the century, and science fiction because it took me off the planet!

Some of my favorite authors are:

Bertrice Small (romance)
Rosemary Rogers (romance)
Johanna Lindsey (romance)
Cassie Edwards (romance)
Diana Gabaldon (romance)
Piers Anthony (fantasy and science fiction)
Robert Heinlein (science fiction)
Robert Silverberg (science fiction)
Marion Zimmer Bradley (science fiction and fantasy)
Stephen King (horror)
Dean Koontz (horror)
Jonathan Kellerman (suspense)
John Sanford (suspense)
James Patterson (suspense)
Isaac Asimov (science fiction)
Mary Higgins Clark (suspense)

I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of but that's a meaty enough list for now.

Some of my favorite books are (in no particular order):

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Lord of the Rings
Gone With the Wind
Forever Amber
1984
We the Living
Anthem
The End of Eternity
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Diary of Anne Frank
Lolita
Stranger in a Strange Land

As a child, my favorite books were:
The Pippi Longstocking books
Horton Hears a Who
Horton Hatches the Egg
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
Tom Sawyer
Little Women
Little Men
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Sherlock Holmes (I have the complete compilation, first book I ever bought for myself, cost $11 in the mid sixties)
Nancy Drew books
Podkayne of Mars
David and the Phoenix
Animal Farm
Uncle Tom's Cabin

There are probably others too but these are all books I read many times, sometimes until the books fell apart. Or, I checked them out of the library time and again but never bought them.

What about you? Feel free to share your favorites.

No comments: