Thursday, April 12, 2007

Writer's Block Day?

Today I don't think I have a specific topic so I'll just ramble and see where I end up. I had the fourth, and I hope final, periodontal surgery this morning. It was raining hard and the wind was strong when I left the house. For a few moments I thought I would have to turn back and call car service in order to get there. But then the wind eased off slightly and I made it to the subway station. The streets were a graveyard for mutilated umbrellas, with five or six of them outside the subway entrance alone.

Today the surgery seemed harder than the other times. It seems more difficult for anesthesia to take on the left side of my mouth. Could that be because I'm left handed? Is the right side of my brain more sensitive and less susceptible to drugs to numb it out? I wonder.

Now that it is over I can't go to the gym for a week, and I have to eat soft foods until the stitches come out next Thursday. Already I miss the gym. Who would have thought that a computer potato like myself would turn into a gym rat? We will have to see whether it holds up after a few months.

Bruce also got his machine to help him with his sleep apnea. With the tube and mask, he looks like a space alien come to visit my bedroom. It will probably be uncomfortable for him to sleep in at first, but I hope he can get used to it quickly. We're both feeling old as a result of all this medical stuff, and need to do something for rejuvenation. But what? I haven't thought that one out yet.

No comments: