Sunday, July 15, 2007

Brooklyn Botanic Garden



Yesterday Bruce and I took a few hours to visit the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. First I ran over to Lucille Roberts for the Step class at 9:15. I got home a little after 10:30 and Bruce and I were able to get to the Botanic Garden before noon. Admission is free before noon on Saturday mornings so we were happy to be able to get there in time for a freebie.

Although I love the flowers and plants there I have not always been happy with the policies so I'd rather attend when I don't have to pay. We smuggled in grilled cheese sandwiches cut into quarters because they are very strict about eating in the areas outside the cafe. That would not be so bad if they allowed you to bring in your own food and eat it there but they don't. So we walked along the paths keeping an eye out for security guards and cramming small pieces of grilled cheese sandwich into our mouths.

I was happy to see quite a few bees at work. I don't know if the bee population has rebounded any since we heard reports of honeybees dying off by the millions because of some mysterious ailment. But there were bees busy doing their pollinating thing at the Garden and that was heartening to see. There were also monarchs and cabbage whites fluttering about pollinating the flowers.

When we got to the Shakespeare garden, we could hear Bob Marley's "One Love" and "Three Little Birds" playing, followed by Cat Stevens' "Wild World." It turned out there was a festival in a nearby playground, but it wasn't very big or exciting. The music was good though and I kind of danced out of the park.

No comments: