Monday, July 30, 2007

Things are Looking Up

I'm feeling excited and energized about the way things are going this summer. Jason has a summer job at the Aquarium, working in the cafe four days a week. He's also up for another part time job doing some typing for a home business, but I don't know yet whether he will get an offer.

Those of us who have been disappointed by the recent events at The Brooklyn Society for Ethical Culture are forming our own "club" and looking into programs we can start up that will please us and bring back the flavor of Ethical Culture we enjoyed in years past before the trouble started. We're having a meeting on August 11th to form committees and solidify plans for the fall.

So far we have a possible location that might offer us free rent, a few people volunteering to run platforms, reflections and meditations, a possible film night (watch a film and discuss the ethical issues involved), and of course, we should keep right on partying. I loved the potlucks we used to have once a month and I want to definitely continue that tradition.

I've also accepted a three-day a week position at a nonprofit organization, where I'll be writing grant proposals. I was pleased to learn that they are doing a technology upgrade and there will be training; I am always happy to learn a new software program or application. When computers behave I truly love them (though, when they are bad, just like the little girl with the curl, they are horrid!). So I'll be kept busy part of the time and can pursue other projects the other days.

That should keep some of the empty nest blues away as Jason departs for college on August 30th. I'm sure having a job to go to and learning new things will keep my mind happily occupied. So the summer is going well and things are definitely looking up!

No comments: