Monday, August 06, 2007

Mom's Egg Creams

I've had another article, "Mom's Egg Creams," accepted for publication in "Good Old Days" magazine. I received the contract on Saturday. It arrived under the name of some publishing company and I almost threw it out by mistake because I didn't recognize what it was. At first I thought it was another of those vanity press outfits trying to make a quick buck off of my desire to get published.

Then I opened it up and saw that it was a contract and I was being offered $20 for the article, which will appear in the March 2008 issue, if all goes as planned. Naturally I immediately signed the contract and forwarded two photos, one of myself in 1967, and one of Mom taken in the early 1960's. Fortuitously, she's working in the kitchen at our Sedgwick Avenue apartment where she concocted a lot of the egg creams I described in the article.

We had dinner with David and a new friend, Ellen, on Saturday night. Actually Bruce has known her for a long time because she belonged to a singles group he was in back in the seventies I believe. We ran into her at a business seminar at the Brooklyn Business Library the day Jason graduated high school and I have gotten together with her a few times since then.

Anyhow I was able to tell David that he will be mentioned in the article (provided they don't edit it out) because he was the one who tipped me off that Mom was sneaking raw eggs into my egg creams. It's amazing how our view of certain foods has changed, and now eggs are suspect. But forty years ago they were considered such an excellent food that kids who hated them (as I did) were forced to eat them practically at gunpoint.

I do have to say I was amused when I learned that brains, which I always found revolting and refused to eat, have been found to contain huge amounts of cholesterol. Maybe my childhood tastes in food as a child weren't so unhealthy after all.

Wait a second, that would mean that dumping a cup of sugar into a bowl of cold cereal, or half a cup of Fox's U Bet into my chocolate milk was healthy, too. I give it up. My tastes were my tastes. Some were healthy and others were downright horrendous.

Anyhow, I'm excited about another publication and it's inspired me to start taking my writing seriously again.

No comments: