Sunday, January 27, 2008

Flying

In some of my dreams I used to fly. It hasn't happened lately. But I can remember that amazing feeling of floating off the ground, sailing through space. It wasn't always easy, sometimes it felt like I had to make a mental effort to stay up there. But what a feeling it was, when it happened!

Today I found out that it is possible to book a flight and go into a weightlessness simulation chamber on the plane, where you can experience the same weightlessness that astronauts feel when they are in outer space away from our gravitational field. Of course, it is plenty pricey. But it sure looked like fun. Anyone, any age, can do somersaults in the air and float all over the place for 90 amazing minutes. I would sure hope I didn't throw up and ruin it, after spending almost $4,000.

Stephen Hawking, one of my heroes, has done it. That must have felt wonderful to him, as he has been confined to a wheelchair for most of his life. What a feeling of freedom it must have been.

I wonder if I could get that donated as a prize for a fundraiser somewhere. Now wouldn't that be cool? I sure think so!

In any case, it's on my "bucket list" of things I will do in this lifetime before I kick the bucket. Just think, if I keep adding to the list, maybe I will be like Stephen Hawking and forget to die!

Here's the link for Go Zero G. Picture me weightless -- without dieting.

No comments: