Monday, October 15, 2007

My Favorite Music

Every time I make one of these lists, I forget quite a few of my favorites, but I will put down what comes to mind anyhow. Sometimes it is hard for me to remember the names of the artists or the names of the songs. Still, here's at least a partial list, if anyone out there wants to make me a CD (joking!).

Groups and Musicians:

The Beatles - Yes the Fab Four are right up there, even if I didn't fully appreciate them in 1963 when they made their American debut on the Ed Sullivan Show. Can you believe that my first comment on JPG&R was, "Why is everyone screaming? They're just four guys who need haircuts!" In my defense, I was not yet 9 years old.

The Rolling Stones... Mick and his amazing rubber lips
The Grateful Dead...come hear Uncle John's Band!
The Jefferson Airplane, and later they went anaerobic and became the Jefferson Starship
Simon and Garfunkel made a lot of beautiful sounds, none of them silence.
Leonard Cohen - I loved his music in the sixties and I still do. "Suzanne" and "I'm Your Man" are big favorites.
Bob Dylan -- "Come mothers and fathers all over the land, and don't criticize what you can't understand, your sons and your daughters are beyond your command..." Who could have imagined, first hearing those words, that someday I'd be on the "parent" side of that great divide between the generations?
Judy Collins -- looking at clouds, love and life
Buffy St. Marie
Joan Baez
Country Joe and the Fish, for their most famous song: today it might go, "Come on all of you big strong men, Uncle Sam needs your help again, caught his tail in a terrible crack, way down yonder in Iraq..."
Mamas and Papas -- They made me dream of California
Billie Holiday -- Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do
The Beach Boys
Celine Dion
Mark Anthony
Janis Joplin
Sweet Honey in the Rock
Bob Marley -- "emancipate yourself from mental slavery"
The Bermuda Triangle (a folk group that never attained great notoriety but played often at Folk City and was just a lot of fun!)

And some random favorite songs:

My Heart Will Go On
The Tide is High
You'll Be In My Heart
Come Sail Away
Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
Hurts So Good
Redemption Song
Blowing in the Wind
Coming to America
Piece of My Heart
Where Have All the Flowers Gone

This is just a round up, since I can't think of them all, but I think our favorites tell something about us. Obviously I lean heavily to the sixties, classic rock and protest folk. I also enjoy classical music and classic jazz. Do post comments with your favorites too!

No comments: