Monday, January 05, 2009

From Grandmother to Wife

I've been mistaken for many things in my lifetime. As a girl, I used to be mistaken for my mother by some of her friends. Apparently our voices were almost identical.

Maybe 12 years ago, I took Jason to the pizza shop just outside the Kingsborough College campus. He was seven at the time. He asked for some piece of candy behind the counter, and the proprietor pointed to me and told Jason to "ask Grandma." My hair was going a little gray but I didn't think I looked all that old.

"I'm Mommy!" I huffed. "Grandma is dead!"

Today, Jason arrived at his doctor's appointment half an hour after I received a call that the doctor would not be in today. They asked him, "Did your wife call?"

Not too shabby, in growing 12 years older, I have morphed from Grandma to his Mrs. How's that for growing younger?

No comments: